Friday, March 13, 2009

Every year at Easter, coming from an Italian family, there were always traditions! My Grandma Cusano always always always made Easter Pizza & Rice Pie! Oh my gosh! They were both to die for but the Easter Pizza--hers was the best! I try to make it myself every year. Last year we were in Monroe, NC visiting Beth & Russ at Easter on our way to Florida for spring break. So I did not make it. But I did get to make the rice pie at Beth's house! There are so many recipes I remember having during Lent. I still make most of them! The baked macaroni with vermicelli, tons of eggs and macaroni cheese (as we called it!); Pasta Fagioli! There are so many! Here is the recipe I love for Rice Pie. It is not my Grandma Cusano's but it is the closest to it! (check back again, I'll share more recipes)

Italian Rice Pie
10 eggs
2 lb.s Ricotta cheese
1 1/2 C sugar
2 C cooked rice
2 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
Beat eggs. Add remaining ingredients, blend until smooth. If too thick, add a little more milk. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.

1 comment:

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

OHHHHH Easter Piz!!! And Rice Pie!! Looks like I am gonna have to make my own this year!! SOO Yummy!
Bv