Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Moo!!


Well, I must say that it has been awhile! And I must apologize! My computer has been down! Had to have a new hard drive put in! SO I am finally starting to get back into the swing of things and wanted to catch everyone up on what's been going on around here! There is soooo much that has happened! Today I'll tell ya all about our new baby calves! What sweeties! I just love having baby calves around! Bottle feeding them is so much fun!




First, here is Inferno! In this photo, my daughter is bottle feeding him. We got him on January 19. He had gotten really sick after a couple of days. He wouldn't stand up, he wouldn't eat...so we had to have Patty come over and tube him for us. We has a meeting to attend that evening about closing our elementary school, but she said they would come over again after and tube him again. Bart really didn't think he'd be alive when we got back, but when we went out and looked in his calf hutch, he was still alive! So he got tubed again. If he was still alive in the morning, they would be back to tube him a 3rd time. Oh...I could not sleep at all!! I kept thinking of that calf! He was such a little doll! I think he was the tiniest calf we have ever had! That morning when I woke up, I put on all my winter clothes....it was in the single digits! Northeast Ohio weather! That walk out to the hutch seemed to take FOREVER! I was afraid to look in for fear of seeing a dead calf. I opened the blanket that I had put over the door and Oh My Gosh...he was trying to stand! I got him up on his feet and he stood there!!! I was so happy I started to cry! I called my husband crying....my first words were, "GREAT NEWS!" because I knew as soon as he heard me crying he would assume the worst! "He's alive!!!," I cried!! I had never been so happy!! And now he is a little pistol! Wants constant attention! And you should hear him Moo!! And he knows he has me everytime he moos! When I start to walk away, he'll moo...of course I have to go back and give him more attention! This goes on 3 or 4 times before I just have to say, "I HAVE TO INSIDE!!"












This is Chowder. We got him on Saturday. He is a little more timid than Inferno. And as of today, he has scours and will not eat. But he is going to get tubed here in about an hour! With this cold temp, he has to eat or he will dehydrate! I'll keep ya posted on him. But for now here is a photo of him!!





So for now!! Stay warm!! We are expecting 4-8 inches of the white stuff tonight! Maybe school will be cancelled tomorrow!!! SNOW DAY!! YEAH!!! I think I enjoy snow days just as much as the kids!!










No comments: