Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How much longer until SPRING??

I must say...I am ready for Spring to be here! I love the snow, but...once the Holidays are over, I want Spring! We had quite a January here in Northeast Ohio! We were 2 inches shy of the record which was made during the "Blizzrd of 1978"! For those of you from this area, you know what I am talking about! I think we were out of school for 1 week! I remember the National Guard was picking up employees that worked at the lcoal hospital so they could get to work! As children, it was GREAT! Snow day after snow day! Neighbors helping each other shovel! Bart remembers tying ropes to their waists to go out to the barn to feed and water the animals. They used ropes so that they would not get lost and could find their way back to the house in the white outs!
This year we had 40 inches of the white stuff in January! And the temps! Brrrr. Downright ridiculous! One day my thermometer read -17! I took a picture!! And that did not include windchills! Needless to say that during all that cold weather both of our calves did get sick and die. Very sad, but it's just one of those things! We hope to get more this weekend!
The home & flower show is going on in Cleveland, but I am sooo crazy busy that I will not have time to go this year! When I do go, I get Spring fever soooo bad! The smell of all that fresh mulch! Gosh! Looking at all those daffodils & tulips! After having below freezing temps last week, we are way above this week! Today it should be in the 50's...a southerly wind bringing rain & warm temps! But looking ahead I saw expected highs of 32 next week! That is the only bad thing this time of year in Ohio....who knows what you will have weatherwise! A winter coat in the morning, a spring jacket in the afternoon!
So all I ask today..."Spring, please hurry!!"

3 comments:

Michele (aka Bug) said...

I am so sorry to hear about Inferno and Chowder:( I hope the kids are OK. Is that normal for calves to not make it though a rough winter? I know CRAP about cows...except I love milk and they taste good!!

Falling Upwards said...

You really made my Wednesday! Your phone call really added to the already wonderful day I was having ... but then, just as I was to leave for class the wind started blowing and it started to rain. That's a mild comment ... it was more like hurricane winds with buckets of water being thrown from the sky! My umbrella had already been attacked by the wind and obviously eaten by the dog (he chewed the top off). Have you ever tried to walk with your head and a bag stuffed into a closed umbrella? Probably wasn't a pretty site ... lol! A closed umbrella with legs.
Now to answer your question! Only 32 days and it will be officially Spring ... but, as we hate to omit, it can and sometimes does snow in May. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you do live in Northeast Ohio. To avoid any disappoint I suggest "we" plant some tulip bulbs inside like Martha Stewart does ... lol! Are you up for the challenge? I'll start mine tomorrow, or Monday, or Tuesday, or ...
I planned on only leaving you a comment ... and if I don't end this now I will write a chapter in a book.
So for now ... you have once again inspired me, you have made me laugh ... and you give me no choice, but to choose a blogger name

ohiofarmgirl said...

We know just what you mean. I too am tired of all the snow and mud and rain and wind...lol but then again when spring arrives the work begins and then I no longer have time for creative stuff that I love...Oh well. Blessings, Dianntha