Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Milking Parlor

One early early mornin' a few weeks back I helped a good friend milk cows. Let me start the story at the beginning! I had gone out for beer & wings the last day of school with a few teachers and some moms that I had developed great friendships with...you remember a previous post about our school closing? It was a great morale booster for me! Well, Ros picked Tracy and I up & we headed for CCI. Next thing ya know, we are having a ton of fun! Joking around, eating good food, drinkin' cold beer....did I say beer??? I meant pop!! (hehehehe!)
Anyway, Ros started saying she was short of help for the morning. I said that I'd LOVE to come help milk. Then we started teasing Tracy and Julie. "Hey, let's make a party of it...everyone meet at Ros's in the morning and we'll milk cows!" Well....let me tell you, 5:15am came awful quick! I got in the car and drove 5 minutes to Ros's dairy farm...I think she was shocked! She started laughing...don't know if it was the fact that I actually showed up...or the way I was dressed! Let me tell you, I was no beauty queen! I was pretty much a frump! Even Bart said. "you are going like THAT?" Well off to the barn she and I went. We saw a truck pull in and she thought it was her brother-in-law! Well lo and behold, who walks into the milking parlor?? Julie!! Ros and I just started laughing! Tracy never showed up...but one of these mornings we'll get her out there! So anyway---Ros took us out to get "the girls" and then proceeded to teach us how to milk! We had a lot of fun and we laughed a ton! I was the official utter massager! Julie was the button pusher, she pushed the buttons to release the cows.

**************************

THE GIRLS
We got to meet the girls close and personal!


Ouch--I am glad that is not me!!


Waiting to be milked in the parlor!



PLEASE PLEASE Support your local dairy farmers! God Bless them for milking cows 2-3 times a day! I could not do it like they do, day in and day out!


1 comment:

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

OH Boy did that bring back memories!! I used to go over to my Uncle Franks dairy farm and "help" aka.....horse around during milking. WHAT A JOB! My fav part was all the gals mooing and I loved the smell of that big ole barn! The huge stainless steel milk tank always wowed me too...I would imagine myself falling in there and being sucked into the milk truck and being hauled away!! LOL!!
SUPPORT YOUR DAIRY FARMERS FOR SURE!! THEY ARE SOME OF THE HARDEST WORKING FOLKS AROUND!!
Love,
BV