Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Gettin' ready for the end of school!

It is that time of year! Summer vacation! I must say that this year the last day is a very sad one. Our school district is closing the doors of our little community school for good. After tomorrow, Pierpont Elementary School will be only a memory. But I must add that it is a very good memory! I have been involved with the school for the last 10 years! I find it hard to believe that 10 years has passed! But in those 10 years, I have met some of the most awesome people that I know! I have made many great friendships with faculty and fellow parents! Our last day is tomorrow and we are all planning on it being a tear jerker! We do a "clap off" for the 6 graders moving up to the Jr. high every year. The other students line the hallway along with any parents that are there that day and when the busses pull up, the 6 graders come down the hall one at a time while the school cheers them on! I (along with other moms) cry even if we do not have 6th graders at the time! This year, we are doing a clap out for the entire school. The moms have already decided we need to have cases of tissues! (I am crying just writing this...I will be mess tomorrow!!)
Anyway, on a HAPPY NOTE, we have some awesome things planned for the last day! We usually do a field day with all kinds of sporting events. But this year, one of our totally awesome moms (Jessi) came up with the idea of a science theme! We have 12 stations to choose from and each student will attend 6 stations! Here are the stations:
  • Bubbles
  • CSI Pierpont - the students have to figure out who stole the cookie from the lunch lady's cookie jar!
  • Paleontologist - they will sift through sand to find "dinasour" bones
  • Volcanos
  • Electricity
  • Mad Scientist (Chemistry)
  • Magnets
  • Earth Science - this is my station!! I have so much planned! I will tell ya all about it later!
  • Biology - they will learn all about frogs & tadpoles!
  • Medical - they will learn about healthy eating, make fruit kabobs and check their pulse
  • Moon walk
  • Blast Off--Rockets!

Jessi did an awesome job coming up with such great ideas! We have all been so busy preparing our stations and lining up help! And of course there is always food involved, so we will be putting together a big picnic lunch for all the kids, faculty and volunteers!

**************

My station, Earth Science, is going to be so much fun! I have 1/2 hour with each group. I love insects and as a Master Gardener, I give alot of insect talks to kids! So I am using part of my insect program with them! For 10 minutes I am going to give them some really cool facts about bugs! Then we are making bug suckers (Don't ask, I'll post a photo tomorrow!) The kids will then look for any living things in the roped off area! I am so excited! I am bringing my bug collection to share, along with all my other cool insect related items! I think it will be really fun! I hope the kids enjoy it! I'll post more about tomorrow sometime this weekend!

1 comment:

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

Goodness you got me tearing up just reading that. Thanks to you and the other great moms, you helped to give alot of kids some great memories to cherish. Just because the door closes, doesn't mean the memories fade!
Have fun today!!
Love,
BV