Monday, April 12, 2010

Jackpot Steer Show!

Our kids recently participated in the Ashtabula Cattlemen's Jackpot Steer/Heifer Show at the Ashtabula Co Fairgrounds! It was a great experience for them! They have been working hard with their steers this winter! There were alot of kids there from Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York! It was alot of hard work but the experience is all worth it!



Here is Cody showing Jack, his registered Maine. He placed 4th in his first class and he placed 3rd in his second class. I did not care how he placed, I was just glad he handled his steer so well! And that his steer cooperated!!


Here is Tori with her Maine Cross named Tank. He was a little antsy in the ring, but she was able to handle him!

We make it a family project! Bart is helping groom the steers.


Here I am blowing the barn dust off Jack before he has to go back into the show ring!



Bart & Cody stand with Jack! This is just before ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! Keep reading!
All went well! Then after taking this picture, I turn around and out of the barn comes running a steer---no halter, no neck rope, nothing to grab onto! HOLY CRAP!! I look....IT IS MY DAUGHTER'S STEER!! Talk about having a heart attack! There were enough people to help keep him contained in one area of the gravel lot. He came up to smell Jack but before we could catch him, he took off again! We got the other end of a barn closed off and were able to corral him into the barn! At least we would have him somewhat contained! We then got him cornered enough to where I could throw a rope around his neck...but let me tell you...he is strong! He pulled me right along with him! I hollered out to a friend that was helping us and from what people tell me after the fact, he drug us both! Everything happened so fast, I couldn't even tell you the whole story! We got him into a corner and then someone came over and got a halter on him! Thank you to anyone who helped us and happens to be reading this! Our hearts were all pounding by the time we caught him! I think about it now and laugh!! But to see Tori & Scott come running out of the barn and the looks on their faces! I wish I had given someone my camera through the commotion! So how did it happen? They were trying switch his rope halter and show halter and he slipped out in the process! Things like that happen! I have never had a run away steer. I do have to tell you my April Fools joke though! On April Fool's, I stood at the kitchen window and then started screaming to Bart and the kids that the steers were loose! They were so mad at me when they came into the kitchen and I started laughing! Now after our little excitement at the Jackpot show, I know that feeling that they got when I started screaming! I guess I will never play that joke again...because it came back to bite me in the butt!





1 comment:

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

Holy.......COW!!! SO glad you weren't hurt....except for that bite in the butt!
bv